When your main clinic patient needs to have extractions or other procedures in Oral Surgery:
1. Fill out the EHR – Forms – General Referral Form using tab Oral Surgery in axiUm and get it swiped by your main clinic faculty.
2. Create a treatment plan for the procedure. Have the treatment plan swiped by clinic faculty and signed by the patient
3. Go over consent forms for procedure and have them signed by the patient
** If you have never had OS rotation, you can skip step 4**
4. Prior to your OS consult, please fill out a detailed OS consultation SOAP note in the Tx record.
5. After financial approval is obtained and the previous steps are completed, go to Oral Surgery and request that an OS faculty approve the referral and fill out the bottom half on the form mentioned under step 1.
6. Make the appointment for your patient at the OS receptionist desk. Patients cannot call the school to schedule an OS appointment, only the student dentist can make the appointment.
7. Remember to inform and discuss with your patient that a consultation must be done prior to the extraction. If you have time to do the consult with your patient, then it will save time for the patient on the day of the extraction (This only applies if you have already completed your first two week oral surgery rotation.) If the patient requires IV sedation, the consult must be done in advance!
8. Although prior financial approval ie. Contract or pre-payment in full is encouraged, it is possible for payment in full on the day of the surgery, before the surgery. If the patient has an on-going contract with other restorative work, the surgery cost may be incorporated into the contract as long as the patient is making on-time payments