Referral from Main Clinic
When your main clinic patient needs to have extractions or other procedures in Oral Surgery:
1. Fill out the EHR – Forms – General Referral Form using tab Oral Surgery in axiUm and get it swiped by your main clinic faculty
2. Create a treatment plan for the procedure. Have the treatment plan swiped by main clinic faculty and signed by the patient
3. Go over consent forms for procedure and have them signed by the patient
** If you have never had OS rotation, you can skip step 4**
4. Prior to your OS consult, please fill out a detailed OS consultation SOAP note in the Tx record.
5. Go to Oral Surgery and request that an OS faculty approve the referral and fill out the bottom half of the OS Referral form mentioned in step 1.
6. If possible (i.e. patient of record has Dentical, private insurance, etc.), have P* removed by PCC. Although prior financial approval (i.e. contract or pre-payment in full) is encouraged, it is possible for the patient to pay for the procedure in full on the day of the surgery. If the patient has an on-going contract with other restorative work, the surgery cost may be incorporated into the contract as long as the patient is making on-time payments.
7. Make the appointment for your patient at the OS receptionist desk.
8. Remember to inform and discuss with your patient that a consultation must be done prior to the extraction. If you have time to do the consult with your patient, then it will save time for the patient on the day of the extraction (This only applies if you have already completed your first two week oral surgery rotation.) If the procedure requires IV sedation, the consult must be done in advance in the Oral Surgery clinic!
Referral from Emergency Clinic
Ensure the following before referral to OS clinic from Emergency: